Thursday, January 26, 2012

Creative Piece

Missing
Based on a true story

            I froze, checking my pockets. Where was my phone? I searched frantically, through my coat pockets, through my backpack, but still no luck. I run to the corner, waiting for the school bus to come back around. After a minute or so, I stop there, dropping a couple kids off. After they have got off, I run up the small stairs of the bus.
            “What’s wrong Sarah?” I remember my bus driver saying on that horribly freezing winter afternoon.
            “I lost my phone. Can I quickly check to see if it’s here?” After she does a quick nod, I search on the seats. Barely anyone is on the bus, so I just scan the seats. It wasn’t there. “Thanks for letting me look for it, Becky, but it’s not here”.
            “Oh, Sarah,” Becky said, her breathe frigid in the frosty Wisconsin air. “I’ll keep an eye out for it. I’m sure it will show up.” I said a small good-bye to Bus driver Becky and headed home, my head drooping the whole time. What would my mom think? Would I get in trouble? And where could my phone possibly be? I had it right before I got off the bus the first time around. I mean, all I did was get off the bus, throw a fail snowball at Lauren, walked about 20 feet and poof! Missing. My phone was missing.
It’s like it disappeared into thin air. My thoughts were interrupted when I walked into my house.
            “Hi Sweetie! How was your day at school?” My mom was upstairs, working from home.
            “Hey Mom,” I said, no cheer at all in my voice. I was dead. I was actually worse than dead. I added quietly, “Yeah, school was fine.” I held my breath. She was coming downstairs. The more sounds of footsteps I heard, the faster my heart pounded. It was like I was the bait and she was the lion. Yep, I was dead meat, especially when she said…”Oh Sweet pea, I heard your phone beeping last night. I’ll just charge it for you then.
            For I second I just stood there. What could I say? What could I do? Just standing there was my best option.
            “So?” she continued, ”Your phone?”. Those last two words hit me like a boulder. It felt like one of these TV shows where they echo words over and over for more dramatic effect. That same thing happened in my head. Your phone? Your phone? Your phone? Your phone? Your phone! I couldn’t take it.
            “Mom”, I started nice and slow. “I seem to have kind of, sort of, you know, um, lost my phone.”
            “What?”I felt like ducking, running, hiding. Mt. Mom was about to blow. But she soon surprised me. “Oh, that’s ok. We’ll go look for it”.
            For a second, I had to back up. What just happened? She’s”ok” with it? Oh well. At least I didn’t get grounded, yet. Soon, I got myself back on track and told her the whole story. The drop-off, the snowball, getting back on the bus, everything.
           So, I checked the bus, the only other place to check was in front of Lauren’s house, to place where I got dropped off. My guess was that when I reached down to get snow to throw a snowball at Lauren, the phone must of fell out of my coat pocket. When we reached her house, I ran up to her door and told her the whole story. I told her that I how I thought the phone we somewhere in the snow on the curb by her house. She decided to help look for it too.
            Both of us dug through the snow fiercely. We searched and searched till it seemed pointless. “What the use, Lauren,” I told she as she continued look through the snow. “It gone”.
            But then, in the spot where Lauren was, digging, there appears the phone. I gasp, not even knowing if this is real. It’s there. It’s MY phone. It’s not missing.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your story! It seems so real! (Especially I experienced it.) You described the incident very well. In the second to last paragraph, the first she should be her. But, other than that, it was a FANTASTIC story!

    ReplyDelete