Thursday, May 3, 2012

Essay DWA

Author's Note: Please comment what you like/dislike or what you think should be changed. Thanks :D
Just a Little Crazy
          Imagine killing someone because they are a little different. A strange voice; a broken limb. What about an eye? Crazy, right? In Tell-Tale Heart the narrator of the story is crazy and thinks he’s so cunning with his revengeful plot of murder.
          Our narrator tries to make us believe that he is clever when on how makes the kill. “I turned the latch of his door and opened it-oh, so gently! And then, when I had made an opening sufficient for my head, I put in a dark lantern, all closed, closed, so that no light shone out, and then I thrust in my head. Oh, you would have laughed to see how cunningly I thrust it in! I moved it slowly- very, very slowly, so that I might not disturb the old man’s sleep.” This quote from the story alone just shows how cunning he thinks he is, when he's really not. The idea of killing an innocent person is never clever.
          Our narrator is also just a little bit crazy. I mean, he kills an old man because of his blind eye. The poor half-blind feeble man is killed a random night by his butler. But why our narrator did it is still a mystery. He’s just has a dilemma dealing with his anger of “evil eyes.”
          Also, his fury and madness are mostly seen at the end of the story. The beating of the old man’s heart that didn’t stop when dead didn’t seem like a heart at all. I think it was just his guilt that was taunting him. “It grew louder-louder-louder! And still the men chatted pleasantly, and smiled. Was it possible they heard not? Almighty god!-no, no! They heard!-they suspected!-they knew!-they were making a mockery of my horror!”
          So, does the narrator think he is so cunning? Yes. Is he crazy? Yes. His “so clever” murder and his crazy thought of hearing an un-dead heart proves both questions. The narrator is just a little crazy.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment